Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Exploring is Fun

I am enjoying all of the exploration I am having an opportunity to do at IU. Having been in class for a few weeks, I am now understanding almost fully what my teachers will be expecting of me. I almost have enough hours in the day for my coursework, projects, job, meals, and sleep. Almost. But I am having fun, and looking forward to the challenge of handling so many responsibilities.

Exploring is fun. I am learning what I really enjoy, and getting a better insight into what my strengths are. Also, at the same time, I am learning what I do not enjoy so much, and what I need to work on getting better at in order to succeed. Now, a few weeks into my journey, I can say that I am really enjoying my business K-201 class. My instructor, Cindy Stone, is amazing! She makes class so much fun. The material is not easy, by any means, but I strongly believe I am preparing myself for my career in the future by becoming proficient at Microsoft Access.

I am also having an interesting time exploring informatics because I honestly have no prior experience whatsoever. It is an introductory class, and it is giving me a good idea of what informatics involves and what it has to offer. I am keeping an open mind, even though informatics is a little different than I thought it was going to be. I am learning HTML formatting and computer programming, which is not exactly what I pictured myself doing in that class. However, it is kind of cool to learn, so I will see where it takes me. I am unsure of whether or not I will continue on my path in informatics after this semester; it is too early to tell.

My job at the Career Development Center is fitting into my day-to-day schedule, but also I am finding it to be a great asset to my academic life. This is because the marketing aspect of my job is allowing me to do cool new things I have never done before, and it is giving me good experience in the field of marketing. Since I still don’t have an idea what I want to do as a career, it’s helpful and satisfying to integrate a field that I am considering a major in, marketing, into my daily working life. It is a great chance to experience hands-on something I am considering a career in!

That is all for now, but I will check back after I have had more experience and personal development here at IU!

Posted by Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment