Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Break Grad School Search

This Spring Break, I spent some time researching graduate school programs, and visiting graduate schools. Ever since I started my service learning class at the middle school, I’ve been more and more interested in Educational Psychology masters programs.

I started my research by exploring the U.S News & World Report Best Graduate School Rankings online. This site shows you the top ten programs, organized by field of study (i.e. Business, Education, Medicine, Social Sciences, Law). After I got the names of some top rated programs, I visited the websites of each specific program, and read a little bit more about what each program entails.After exploring a few different schools and their programs, I began to examine their locations-- cities, states, weather, population, etc. Although this helped me narrow down programs I was interested in, I still felt that I didn’t quite have a good vision of each program.

I started to think about how I made the decision to come to IU; at the time it just made complete sense to me. The campus, community, and programs just felt like home-- I fell in love with the culture of being a Hoosier, something that you cannot quite experience from a website, or map quest-- you have to see to understand.

I think in the graduate school search, it’s really important to visit the actual school, to get a feeling for the culture. Although it is really important to be in a top ranked program, I also think that the cohort and community you are surrounded by has an equal impact. After all, those two factors are what can shape your experience. So, I have decided that my goal by the end of this summer is to visit as many schools I am interested in as possible-- stay tuned!

Posted by Anne

2 comments:

  1. I have read this post. collection of post is a nice one ..that am doing website designing company chennai india and website development company chennai india. That I will inform about your post to my friends and all the best for your future posts..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, really online graduate degree from any streangth it become beneficial for student and they are able to achieve the credential they seek by studying from their own location, and during hours that are convenient for them.

    Online Graduate degrees

    ReplyDelete